Sunday, January 15, 2006

Yesterday I was reconciled with my true love..the one I selfishly locked away in my heart for myself..it has been so long since I met him..

The books o' my school library!!! Oh, how I cherished every single one of you..even the crappy books meant for those who are just starting to set their foot in the literature world~All the Macmillian school-based novels..The feeling is indescribable!!!

I was there yesterday to help the teachers process the new books and to make the library fit for humans to venture in..Just the joy of being able to borrow and savour these books after processing and registering them thrills me as much as it pains me to be in the knowledge that some fool would borrow the books and respect it as though it was toilet tissue paper..Well, I guess it's a way for Literature to grow..even though it has to start from the bottom..

There were these boring BM books the new library teacher chose ( I never said she was a good decision maker..but then again, those books were sponsered by the government..hmm), the Hardy Boys collection, and the lovely, lovely literary books! O' of Twain, Defoe, Doyle, Verne & the other great writers the world can ever find..I found it all here! Well, the books don't pay justice to the maestros because they are all abridged and rearranged to be fit for the secondary students' IQ capacity. Hmmpph! Such an insult. Would you imagine what the choleric Mr. Twain would have said if he knew what these scoundrels did to his works of art??

I was instructing and giving pointers to some newly recruited-librarians to label the Hardy Boys books when one of them reported to me the missing numbers of Books #2 & #59. How could this happen?? All the books were checked in and throughly before they even made it here! Then the teacher told me that those books were unavailable in Malaysia since they dissent with the teachings and beliefs of the Islam religion..

Not that I support that, I personally would boycott the book if it touches sensitive issues on Christianity..such as the highly successful Da Vinci Code. This is a democratic country..so what happened to the open-mind thing? Everyone deserves free speech. It's a free world after all..If you can allow the Da Vinci Code, why not Hardy Boys? Just two books to complete the collection and that's it!..

Well, I'm not really a big fan of the Hardy Boys nor have I any interest in the politics business..sometimes a love or a hobby can be overwhelming to me..

2 comments:

nakedwriter said...

To FIT SECONDARY STUDENT'S IQ CAPABILITY??!!! Come come, Michelle, surely you're not insulting both of us :P ?

hahaha... and right on the free speech thing. Anything to do with religion in Malaysia is stupidly banned (even in a pathetic book about two college hunks solving mysteries!) I know... it's sad...

And i did like Hardy Boys... Joe Hardy is such a great character! Though i prefer the mind of Frank more...

Sparks said...

It seems that I try to avoid any detective/crime solving books because once I start, I can't stop!

The only books I would allow to disrupt my sleeping pattern are those from Rowling and Twain..

P/s: Correction in Para.3, Line 29: The average student's IQ capability..Obviously that doesn't include you Jia Hui.. :P