Friday, February 17, 2006

Debate

Yes!!!I've finally made it to the debate team!!! I don't know how, but I did it!! I was selected to go into the research team!! Yay!!

The teacher proposed a small briefing meeting in the library; it'd never seemed so full before! There were plenty of over-esthuistic girls and those who just kept quiet. All my juniors. I was lost amidst the sea of these over-excited chattering females. The only 17 year old. Thankfully I quickly made forged a friendship with two 15-year-old girls who seemed to have experience in debating; One was an ex-debater, the other is a daughter of an ex-debater. And I? Just someone who got interested after watching a few debate matches. HAHAAHA~ Wonderful.

Then the hard part. The selection process. There were about >40 girls in the room. And only a minimum of 5 would be in the main team. ( 3 active speakers & 2 reserves) Thankfully the 14 &13 year old girls were called by the teacher to step out for a 'talk'. So that leaves the seniors. Still about more than ten left. After about 10 agonizing minutes, the teacher called out the names after giving the usual motivation speech: (you can do better, you have the potential... all of you do. But we need the best of the best since we're running out of time..so try again next year)

I was selected together with..surprise-surprise..Darma decided to turn up after all. That means I'm not the only Form 5 here..haha

Topics this year are as stupid as usual:

1. Modern inventions have made us lazy
2. the internet is a devil in disguise
3. teen social problems are caused by bad parenting
4. Sex education should be taught in school..(ooh, the ministry is getting us to do their homework)

Discussion was hell..in the end, we didn't even get anything out of it. Now excuse me while I do my research for the topics.

3 comments:

nakedwriter said...

SEX?!!! SEX?!! Am i DREAMING? SEX? in a conservative fundamentalist religious-affiliated National Type Schoool? SEX EDUCATION? *GASP* I mean.. how will the teachers respond? Wouldn't they suffocate and convult in fits of embarassment as we debate about SEX? SEX!!!! ohhh NO! SEXXXXXXX!!!

First Speaker (red): And hence our unSHAKEable stand, is thus: that Sex Education INDEED should be taught in school whether my stand is standing or not or even shakeable.

Thrid Speaker (redder): As the third speaker of the opposition, i will rebutt the contentions of the Government, that upon futher inspection holds no water. Their condoms are leaking - baseless facts of circular argumentations!

Adjudicators (excited): Oooh... Mr First Speaker... when will you take off your shirt? It's already the reply speech you know!!

LOL - well best wishes to you and Darma. I'm never a fan of Convent's debate team or *ahem* coach... But to you and Darma, i'll spare a pat!

Tell me about it ok!

Anonymous said...

cool... seeya in the next level... ill be going for the Taylors college debate...seeya soon darling..

Alex said...

lol... good luck in debating.. :) more importantly, have fun :)