Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mamak Talk #1

A friend had a little chat with me today. She's always the kind that puts down everything you do as useless or 'ma-fan', but with no malicious intent whatsoever. Just like a big sis.

Usual lunch time at 4pmish...the banter would always be about finding part-time jobs, internships, scholarships, relationships, fake friendships and ugh, no more ships please. (The pun CANNOT be avoided). When I get a say in my social lifestyle, she often just brings out her own in comparison. But this time she surprised me by showing her unhidden disapproval of my open-mindedness. And everytime I try to rebut saying this was how I brought myself up (& that mother has given up on me a long time ago), she tells me that if I want to work in a professional field, I must watch my reputation and keep up a good lifestyle, that I must not be so unconventional, and open-minded. Otherwise, I'll scare all the (laugh) good guys away and end up in shambles.

Alright, what made her blow off? I told her that I wanted to start an open-relationship with a boy who's probably looking for the same sort of thing, since he's been asking from early 2007. Well, her tastes in men is completely different from mine...I don't care how much he earns, (as long as he earns something decent enough to support his own life), I don't want him to spend me, (I'm fine by myself, thank you), and I sure as hell don't give a damn about his social status. All I looked for if I were to settle down, is someone who can hold intellectually stimulating conversations at any time given. Bukan cakap kosongs 24/7. (Not that the above-mentioned boy could, but a play doesn't hurt, does it ;) )

Well, she gawked at the last sentence, and gave up (for the 1st time!) by just nodding her head to anything more I had to say. Now! The chance to defend myself! Different people, different lifestyle, different job field and personality. THAT'S ALL.

I was stopped by the mamak gesture of shooing us away by wiping tables beside us vigorously. Goodbye good riddance.

1 comment:

Alex said...

it`s funny how I came here, by clicking a link from a comment you sent 3 years ago in my blog.

Even more funny is that this post and that is somewhat related. :)

Though it`s 25 days late.. Happy new year..... lol