Saturday, December 24, 2005

Culture cross

Last Thursday, I (sort of) celebrated the Tang Yuen festival with my mom at home. We didn't really celebrate it in the traditional way..my mother just bought the prepacked rice ball dough from the market and boiled in it sweet pandan-&-rock sugar syrup. Only the both of us ate it. My brother was more interested in his "Judgement Day" show on TechTV. What really made my mother celebrate was the fact that I reminded her days before the festival. She was rather surprised because:

-I was never really keen on it..

-This daughter who isn't really supportive of her own race is suddenly talking about making rice balls..well, they do call me the blood-betrayer.But it was my mother who ignited the flame in me. Yes, I support my Chinese counterparts anytime, but why do you think we're living in Malaysia for? If my mother is thinking of the benefits, she might as well pack her bags and move back to China where our distant relatives are.

My mother discriminates. No, I'm not proud of it at all because I believe we're all the same creatures created by God, in different colours, sizes and personalities. That's all. I mix with my Indian friends and my Malay friends more than I do with my blood cousins? Why? I find that the Indians are the least racist among all the races and that the Malays are more willing to step down from their pedestals and mix with anyone at all! I have some decent Chinese friends who do not discriminate..I guess it's in the blood of most of the orients..don't we just love to critizise? I guess that's my mother's speciality..hahaha.

I'm ranting on my mother on the hope that she finds this post to change her ways once and for all...I'm getting tired of her nagging me on why I have all this weird friends and why I attract the wrong attention all the time..Sorry to those I offended..but I am proud of being a Chinese. Heck, I have the blood of the emperor's imperial warriors..hahaha~

In the past years I'd usually go to my wai poh's house just to savour the sweet rice balls in its delicate pink and white colours. But my (thrifty-minded) mother will just go there because my wai-poh usually prepared lunch with it..Y'kno..the usual Chinese cuisine; braised pork ribs, steamed chicken, fish..Well, compared to my mother's, I wouldn't mind eating my wai-poh's cooking the same thing everyday..I can match her, not my mother..no one could match her in knowing the right amount of ingredients or time needed to prepare the perfect dish..
But this year, I guess she got tired of making the balls ( pardon the pun) so she decided to just make some for praying..I heard from a fellow blogger that the Tang yuen is made as an offering to the messenger in the hope that it will create a good impression of the family when he delivers the message to the heavens..

My family is not really keen on this stuff because we belong to the Christian faith. So I try my best to be proud of my culture I guess. Merry Christmas eve to you all!!
P/s: Do not eat Tang yuen when cold. Disgusting.

1 comment:

HeadLiner said...

Maybe no tang yuen at all is called for. :)